PRP for Skin Rejuvenation
What are platelets?
Platelets are found in the blood. They are best known for their blood clotting ability, but they also contain a reservoir of hundreds of biologically active proteins called growth factors that play a key role in promoting stem cell regeneration and soft tissue remodeling. When there is an injury, platelets flood the area to stop the bleeding and heal damaged tissues. PRP has been used successfully in cardiology, oral surgery, orthopedics and facial plastic surgery.
What is Platelet – rich plasma?
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is a natural product created from a simple blood draw that is spun in a centrifuge to separate and concentrate platelets and growth factors for use as a treatment for skin rejuvenation. PRP harnesses the remarkable healing and rejuvenation powers of platelets and growth factors to reverse aging and sun damage.
How is PRP delivered to the skin?
PRP is delivered to the skin with Microneedling. It is applied topically to the face, and then a device with fine needles is used to create controlled micro-injuries in the skin. The PRP is then absorbed into the skin through these tiny channels. Microneedling stimulates collagen production and improves skin texture.
What are the benefits of platelet-rich plasma for facial rejuvenation?
It is a non-surgical cosmetic procedure to improve skin tone, texture and appearance by employing the regenerative properties of PRP including stimulating the production of collagen and formation of new blood vessels, to promote tissue regeneration.
When applied to the face, PRP can have the following rejuvenating effects:
- Stimulates collagen production: PRP activates fibroblasts in the skin, encouraging them to produce more collagen and elastin. This results in improved skin elasticity, firmness, and reduced fine lines. The result is a smoother more youthful looking skin, smoothing fine lines and wrinkles, softens acne scars and improves overall texture.
- Enhanced skin tone: PRP can promote a more even skin tone reducing pigmentation irregularities and sun and age spots.
- Enhances skin texture: PRP promotes the growth of new healthy skin cells for smoother skin and reduced pore size.
- Minimizes wrinkles: By boosting collagen and elastin PRP can reduce the appearance of wrinkles and lines.
- Improved blood flow: PRP improves blood flow to the treatment areas. Improved blood flow is vital for delivering nutrients and oxygen to the skin cells and further supports collagen production and overall skin health.
The collagen-stimulating effects of PRP are not temporary. Over time, as collagen production continues, patients often experience gradual improvements in skin texture, firmness, and tone with natural looking results. These effects can last for several months, making PRP an attractive option for long-term facial rejuvenation. Results develop gradually and may require multiple sessions to achieve your desired outcome.
PRP is often used in combination with other skin treatments such as laser treatments. Multiple studies also report that PRP can significantly improve the appearance of acne scars and traumatic scars.
How is PRP made?
A small amount of blood is drawn from your arm and spun to separate and concentrate the platelets, growth factors, and biological proteins that play important roles in healing and tissue regeneration. Because your own blood is used, PRP naturally stimulates healing and eliminates the risk of allergic responses. There is no downtime, and minimal discomfort.
During your consultation with Dr. Michael Rains, he will review your medical history and assess your skin, listen to your concerns and discuss your goals and expectations. Based on this information and your needs, he will make recommendations about the best treatments to address your concerns and goals. It is important to note that PRP treatments are customized.
Dr. Michael Rains is a board-certified dermatologist and the founder of Beacon Dermatology in Asheville, North Carolina. His approach to aesthetic and dermatological treatments are holistically focused on revealing and enhancing a patient’s natural beauty. Dr. Rains is known for his caring and compassionate approach to medicine, listening to his patients’ concerns and goals and ensuring they receive excellent care and education to ensure they can make informed decisions about their treatments.
At a Glance
Michael Rains, MD, FAAD
- Board certified in dermatology
- Specializing in medical, surgical and cosmetic dermatology
- Author of multiple peer-reviewed publications and previous adjunct faculty at Dell Medical School at the University of Texas at Austin
- Learn more