We convey our emotions and feelings through facial expressions created by muscle contractions. As these expressions, like surprise, anger, worry, or simply squinting, are repeated over the years, they create folds which deepen into creases called dynamic wrinkles. Dynamic wrinkles can give the appearance of exhaustion, discontent, or aging, making one look older than they are, which is why dynamic wrinkles are commonly targeted for rejuvenation treatments like Botox or Dysport.
What is Dysport & Botox?
Dysport & Botox are neurotoxins. Neurotoxins, also called wrinkle relaxers, are well-established aesthetic treatments for non-surgical facial rejuvenation. They are fast, safe, and almost painless with relatively quick results. Treatment also offers benefits in psychological well-being and quality of life.
How does it work?
Dysport & Botox work by blocking nerve signals in the muscles where it is injected. When those muscle cells can’t receive the signal to contract, they become temporarily paralyzed, leading to a smoothing out of wrinkles.
What are the cosmetic uses for Dysport & Botox?
- Forehead Lines: Horizontal lines that develop across the forehead due to frequent raising of the eyebrows can be smoothed out with Botox or Dysport
- Glabellar Lines: Often referred to as the “elevens” or “frown lines,” these are the vertical lines that appear between the eyebrows. They result from frowning, scowling, or squinting and can be minimized with Botox or Dysport.
- Crow’s Feet: These are the fine lines and wrinkles that appear at the outer corners of the eyes. They develop due to smiling, squinting, or other facial expressions. Botox or Dysport can be used to reduce their appearance.
- Bunny Lines: These are the wrinkles that appear on the sides of the nose when one smiles or laughs. Botox or Dysport can be used to smooth them out.
- Vertical Lip Lines: Sometimes called “smoker’s lines” or “lipstick lines,” these are the vertical lines that appear above the upper lip. Botox or Dysport can soften their appearance.
- Lip Flip: This is a technique where Botox or Dysport is used to provide a temporary lift to the upper lip, making it appear slightly plumper and more visible.
- Chin Dimpling: Botox or Dysport can be used to smooth out the appearance of an “orange peel” or dimpled chin.
- Jawline Slimming: For individuals with hypertrophic or overactive masseter muscles (the muscles responsible for chewing), Botox or Dysport can be injected into these muscles to provide a slimming effect to the jawline.
- Neck Bands: Botox or Dysport can be used to minimize the appearance of vertical neck bands or cords that can develop as one ages.
- Gummy Smile: For those who show excessive gum when they smile, Botox or Dysport can be injected into specific areas to reduce the elevation of the upper lip and thus reduce the “gummy” appearance.
How long does it take to see the results?
Results are not immediate. The onset of effects are gradual. At 24-48 hours after injection, you may notice some subtle changes in the treated areas. However, most people begin to see noticeable results 3-5 days after treatment, when the muscles begin to relax, but it can take seven to ten days after treatment to see the full effects. For most people it can take up to two weeks to see maximum effects. This is important because if you have a big event, you should have your treatment at least two weeks before the event.
How long do the results last?
Results will typically last three to four months. However, some areas of the face may retain effects longer than others. Areas that have lots of muscle activity, such as around the lips will tend to last a shorter amount of time than effects on the forehead. In addition, the length of time results last also depends on how quickly your body metabolizes the drug.
The good news is that if you have been getting Botox or Dysport injections regularly for a long time you may find that the effects last longer with subsequent treatments. This is possible because the treated muscles become weaker and atrophy over time with consistent neurotoxin use and may result in needing a smaller dose to attain the same results. Moreover, the skill of the injector can influence the efficacy and duration of the results which is why you want a cosmetic dermatologist like Dr. Rains who is an expert at neurotoxin injections.
As the effects wear off, the treated muscles will gradually return to their normal function and the wrinkles and line will begin to reappear. Thus, regularly scheduled maintenance injections are important to maintain the desired results.
Contact Dr. Michael Rains at Beacon Dermatology in Asheville, North Carolina to schedule a cosmetic consultation to learn more. Dr. Rains is a board-certified dermatologist and the founder of Beacon Dermatology in Asheville, North Carolina. His approach to aesthetic and dermatologic treatments is holistically focused on revealing and enhancing a patient’s natural beauty. Dr. Rains is known for his caring and compassionate approach to medicine, listening to patients’ concerns and goals and ensuring they receive excellent care and education to ensure they can make informed decisions about their treatments.
At a Glance
Michael Rains, MD, FAAD
- Board certified in dermatology
- Specializing in medical, surgical and cosmetic dermatology
- Author of multiple peer-reviewed publications and previous adjunct faculty at Dell Medical School at the University of Texas at Austin
- Learn more